Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gospel Doctrine

For those of you who don't know Michael & I were called to be Gospel Doctrine teachers. This has been a really good calling for both of us. We teach separately and it has really forced me to step out of my comfort zone and do a lot better job at my scripture study! A few weeks ago I had the privilege of teaching on the Family. It was one I wasn't too excited about but it was my favorite lesson I've taught so far! I'm sure most of you had the same lesson and may have read these but there were a couple quotes we read that I really loved!...

“If there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured. …

“Sisters, guard your children. … Nothing is more precious to you as mothers, absolutely nothing. Your children are the most valuable thing you will have in time or all eternity. You will be fortunate indeed if, as you grow old and look at those you brought into the world, you find in them uprightness of life, virtue in living, and integrity in their behavior”


President Gordon B. Hinckley taught: “When you are married, be fiercely loyal one to another. Selfishness is the great destroyer of happy family life. If you will make your first concern the comfort, the well-being, and the happiness of your companion, sublimating any personal concern to that loftier goal, you will be happy, and your marriage will go on throughout eternity” (“Excerpts from Recent Addresses of President Gordon B. Hinckley,” Ensign, Dec. 1995, 67).

I loved this lesson! It really made me think a lot about my family and the values and character traits I have because of them as well as the values and character traits I have and will pass onto my children. I spend a lot of time thinking about how I want to do this and that when I have children and I have really been realizing that Michael & I have a great opportunity right now to work on ourselves before we start having children. The habits that we form now will most likely stick with us for the rest of our lives. Just my thoughts for the day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are wonderful!

Joe and Breana said...

I enjoyed reading this post. The quotes were great! I agree with using this time to better ourselves before we have children. Sometimes it scares me because I see kids picking up traits and habits that their parents have and I just hope that when I have kids I can be a good example. I think it's easier said then done. We'll see in a few years=)